I had an assignment in Thesis where I had to present a story collection in an interesting way. So I decided to make Mad Libs to give to my classmates. One, my collection was by Chuck Palahniuk and he played a version of this at the only book reading of his I could go to. Second, making books is therapeutic to me now. I'll show the basic steps I did.
1. I had to look up how to do my own Mad Libs.
This was the easiest part of the project, but then I actually had to it. I decided to use a fairytale because it went with the theme of my presentation. So I looked for fairytales that were short. Apparently all of them have long winded versions, but I settled on Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs which in a Word Document, was six pages long.
2.Formatting the Mad Libs
The most time consuming part. I formatted it in MS Word, thinking it'll lay out the same way in InDesign and I was wrong, so ended up formatting the whole long a** story TWICE (which at the size of a 4x4 text block turned six pages to almost 30). My advice: pick a 1-3 page story unless you're really bored or have to do it for a class.
3. Print out and cut the text block.
Not as hard as formatting, but you have to learn the Booklet Making print option, but that's what Google. From InDesign, I packaged and exported the InDesign document and then printed from the PDF (which gives you crop marks!). Do a test one before you print out 15+ copies. I cut it with a box cutter and metal ruler on a self- healing mat, then I used a bone folder to fold them all.
4. Align the cover and text block using the spine of an old book and punch two holes using the awl.
I took my professor's advice and took the most boring hardcover book they were giving away at the library (Mergers & Acquisitions always has a spot in my heart because of American Psycho) to easily punch holes in the covers and text blocks. This is the broke student version since they have official implements that will hold the text block while you punch it. I made the holes free hand, no measuring, just made sure they were an equal distance apart and away from the edges.
The link is for a 3 hole pamphlet stitch, but I only did two holes. Three holes is sturdier and there's even a 5 whole pamphlet stitch. The pamphlet stitch is very versatile and easy. I wanted to put just enough effort in this project, but not a lot because I was making 17 books.
6. Bask in your success and feel like a boss!
These are all the different papers I used for covers. They were similar to Jhapur Rag Paper, but it doesn't have to be that. Just get something that's sturdier than the text block. I also deckled the edges because I got to rip paper and it looks fancy for some reason!